Basic Canning Skills Class
Taught by Shannan Deshazer, summer 2012
It’s Canning Season! Learn how to can using (organic) fresh, seasonal fruits/vegetables in which YOU control the ingredient quality, salt/sugar levels, and seasonings.
This year I’m doing something different. I am teaching basic (and some advanced) canning classes. Except this year I will offer it almost every weekend. Whatever I grew or picked that week – I will can. It’s called small batch canning and I have used this method for years and find it the easiest for keeping up with the season’s harvest (and my limited time!)
Please join me based on your availability that week OR based on learned how to can one particular item(s).
Check out my facebook feed for info on that week’s canned item. Each class is taught in my home kitchen, at 10am Saturday, and is only $5/class. Class will teach prep skills and demonstrate canning technique which should take 1 to 1 ½ hours.
· Fruit jams
· “The Best” dill pickles – both refrigerator (no canning needed) and canned
· Pickled jalapenos
· Pie Fillings
· Tomatoes – diced, Italian, sauce, ketchup, BBQ sauce
· Peaches and Apples - sauces and pie fillings
· Salsa – both red and green
· Chicken Broth (pressure canned)
· Beans (pressure canned)
· Homemade Soups – chicken and minestrone (pressure canned)
Message me on FB – or email me with your spot reservation at: shannandesh at msn dot com.