The fireman said that in another ten minutes, the whole wire would have ignited and a full blown fire would have happened. So many things about this story make my heart and soul so grateful and so happy and so lucky that circumstances happened the way they did.
- I was home - not at my school meeting like I had been an hour earlier.
- I was home - not shopping for dishwashers like I was getting ready to go to.
- I was home - not in Portland all day like I was the day before.
- I smelled everything early - thank goodness for a keen sense of smell.
- I heard the popping sound and paid attention to the location.
- The firemen arrived quickly and saved my house and kitchen from a potentially devastating fire situation.
I can't begin to tell you how thankful I feel. The water from the dishwasher did in fact leak all under the laminate flooring in the kitchen - including where the wire goes to the dishwasher. That wire was not covered in protective conduit, so i was exposed and the water must have seeped into a nick or scratch in the wire - thus sparking and about to ignite.
We called our insurance company - Amerprise through Costco's executive membership plan - and they started a claim right away. They also arranged for emergency services and we had an electrician to the house within 2 hours to repair the wire that caught on fire - repair the breaker that did not switch over when the water overloaded the circuit - and turned on our electricity to the house again. They also had a general contractor at our house within four hours to rip up all the flooring, remove the dishwasher, get industrial fans and dehumidifiers in our kitchen to dry up the water damage.
So it looks like a new kitchen floor and dishwasher for us. Honestly, as I said before, I'm just so grateful that we caught everything in time and that our great insurance and contractors have made it very comfortable for us while we repair all the damage.