Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
- Good idea to wear gloves if you are going to paint. If you forget to wear gloves, then remove wedding ring before using oil-based paint. If you forget to remove your wedding ring, good idea to have mineral spirits in the house.
- Wear a mask if you are pregnant and you are using highly fuminous products like spray adhesive, spray texturizing, paint, oil-based paint, and mineral spirits. Otherwise you'll get dizzy and spend the rest of the day worrying about the harm you just caused your unborn child.
- Painting trim is a pain in the A**.
- Use the pregnancy card to get out of painting trim.
- Bake husband brownies while he takes over your job of painting trim.
- ALWAYS shell out the $4 for the sample can of paint. Otherwise you'll spend $28 for a gallon of paint that doesn't work and can't be returned. Currently I'm trying to find rooms, nooks, corners, garage space, closets, outdoor furniture to use the paint on.
- If you use spray orange peel texture, put the can in hot top water for 2 minutes before you use it (makes it less gummy)
- Use a piece of cardboard to catch drips underneath.
- If you forget to use cardboard, credit cards or hotel plastic keys can scrape texturizing drips off fixtures like sinks, faucets, bed headboards, etc...
- When power washing, wear clothes you want to get completely soaking wet. Don't do your hair that day.
- Which reminds me, don't get a manicure the day before project day.
- Don't power wash the front door while it is still slightly open. But bonus...you get to clean the entry carpet and tile.
- Don't get on a ladder when six months pregnant.
- EAsiest way to move up getting new carpet on the priority list? Spill 1/2 a gallon of paint on it.
Jackson's Room Before
Jackson's room After
He gets his own room and graduates to a more sophisticated room.
Drafting Table. Jackson is forever drawing blueprints to airplane designs. A future at Boeing?
Blake's Room Afters
Saturday, October 27, 2007
So I found a really great seagrass Pottery Barn knock off barstool on Target.com.
Can you say $99?
Next, we move on to color selection. Lucky for us, the whole house was painted white, white, white. A great blank palatte to test new colors.
I usually test out four or five colors. These four have made the top spots. I will let these stay on the walls for a week while I evaluate the colors in different lights and next to my furniture.
we move on to the next step. Completing all these projects we've purchased materials for and/or already started. They are (in no particular order):
- Finish painting Jackson's room
- Powerwash front porch/walkway/driveway/siding
- Scrap off clear caulking and caulk all tubs/showers with white caulk.
- Scrape front door and repaint - also scrape/repaint front shutters
- Add peep hole to front door
- Replace front door hardware
- Paint front porch white (it is currently mauve)
- Spray paint red wagon so it can be a toy hauler
- Finish hanging Blinds
- Install new vanity light bars in both bathrooms
- Fill in holes/texturize drywall
- Paint entire interior of house
- Hang up hand towel holders in master bath
- Repaint/touchup paint on baseboards and millwork
- Paint Office
- Hang up wall decorations in front room and office
- Modge Podge world map to large board for Jackson's room
I may have to make a self-imposed blog hiatus until I finish at least half of these projects. Jer is taking 9 days off in early November to help finish. Goal to completion - Thanksgiving.
Friday, October 26, 2007
Can anyone say, The Holidays are paid for and we can buy a new car now! Don't ask how those two are related - let's just say that this money comes at a good time.
Thursday, October 25, 2007
I think I'll stick to the Old Navy for now and leave the expensive stuff for Bill Gates' wife.
First, the drive. I think I'm going to take pictures next time I head up there. I seriously can't believe that all you do is drive five minutes away from Salem and you are in serious farmland. Fruit/Vegetable stands dot the roads. Civilization seem far off. Because I Grew up and lived in metro suburbs my whole life, I find this change a bit refreshing.
Next, the hospital. The birth center is newer - looks nice from the outside. All of the doctors' offices are housed in older homes across the street from the hospital. The staff couldn't be friendlier (stark contrast to the mean/unfriendly/unhelpful staff at Salem hospital and dr. offices).
Last, my midwives. I met two of the three in the pratice. Cage, Mindie, and Christina. I brought Blake with me and Cage and Mindie could not have been more patient with me or Blake. I never felt hurried or hustled. Midwives are the best for listening to you - understanding what you would like see happen. They give helpful information when asked. They don't scoff at you if you want to use natural remedies like acupuncture or herbs.
They assured me that even though Silverton is a small "country" hospital, we are only a 10 minute airlift from Portland should anything go wrong with me or the baby in the delivery room.
I am so glad that the Salem doctors' offices gave me such problems because now I get to go up to Silverton. All is well.
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
I went on my favorite custom blind source - http://www.selectblinds.com/ - where you can get custom blinds, free shipping, and often 25% off your entire order.
When these boxes arrived Monday, the mauve blinds' days were numbered.
Yipee!! Jeremy yanked those dirty, dusty stinking things off today.
The new faux wood 2" blinds look a million bizillion times better, they open up the entire house - and they make the house look even more white than it did before. Time to pick paint colors to warm up those walls!
This is how much I paid for a chalkboard that measures 36"X50".
This is how you do it.
Go to Lowe's and wander around the lumber section for a couple of minutes. When lumber man asks if he can help you, ask if you can look at the lumber scrap pile to see if there are any pieces of wood in it for you. When you look at it, you may see that there are no pieces that will fit. So the lumber guy, because it is slow Wednesday afternoon, may just decide to take a 8'X8' piece of birch sheet wood and cut it for you anyway and charge you a $1.00 for the "scrap" piece of wood.
Find the chalkboard paint in your garage that you imported from Washington and slap two coats of chalkboard paint on this baby. Wait to cure for 2 days. Don't tell 4 year old that his new room chalkboard is in the garage.
Monday, October 22, 2007
Saturday, October 20, 2007
Lego City Aiplane
back stretches during pregnancy
back stretches and exercises
salem pediatric clinic
roloff pumpkin patch portland OR
patent leather waterproof
Isabella oliver maternity
inn at cape kiwanda
expected maternity salt lake city UT
Friday, October 19, 2007
As mentioned earlier in this week, I've had to take it easy because my back snapped out of place. So I researched and researched and came up with a fantastic game plan for my boys' rooms.
I usually look at Pottery Barn catalogs for inspiration and then I shop for look-alike knock offs at Target, IKEA, Fred Meyer, and Ross.
BLAKE AND BABY'S ROOM
This sells at PB for $69.99 a shade.
You can find it at Target for $17.99
Blake will get an art corner in his room; don't tell but that easel at Costco right now is part of his Christmas.
Jackson is growing up, so I have to grow up his bedding and theme.
This bedding is at Target for $39.99 for twin quilt. PB quilt's sell for $149 for twin.
Here's my results and I did answer completely truthfully (although I did skew my answers to member of Congress and lawyer preference).
2008 President Selector http://selectsmart.com/president/2008.html
Rankings: 1. Theoretical Ideal Candidate (100 %)
2. Hillary Clinton (83 %)
3. Joseph Biden (79 %)
4. John Edwards (74 %)
5. Al Gore (not announced) (68 %)
6. Barack Obama (68 %)
7. Alan Augustson (campaign suspended) (66 %)
8. Wesley Clark (not running, endorsed Clinton) (66 %)
9. Michael Bloomberg (says he will not run) (65 %)
10. Christopher Dodd (65 %)
Ha Ha Jeremy!!! So she is my choice for real. Now wait until I get my hands on some campaign posters and you come home from work one day.
PS - I don't know how to do the fancy linking with the clicking on the name to get the post. Sorry. Maybe you could explain it to me. Along with how I add my picture.
Thursday, October 18, 2007
I need some blog inspiration.
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
A- Attached or single: Attached
B- Best Friends: believe it or not, the few I have are going on 12+ years of friendship.
C-Cake or Pie: Pie. pumpkin #1 followed closely by chocolate silk
D- Day of choice: Monday morning - kids go back to school
E- Essential Item: Ipod
F- Favorite Color: Red - the type with blue undertones, not orange
G- Gummi Bears or Worms: Bears all the way. I prefer them stale and chewy
H- Hometown: Salt Lake City, UT
I- Indulgence(s): weekly mani/pedis, monthly massages, shopping w/o kids, getting a backrub from my hubby without having to "pay" him for it.
J- January or July: Jan. July can suck it. (I hate summer)
K- Kids: 2+1 boys. What was God thinking???
L-Life is Incomplete Without: my family - I'm serious. For as much as I complain, I would be lost without them.
M- Marriage Date: 9/20/97
N- Number of Siblings: 2 brothers
O- Oranges or Apples: Mandarin oranges you get in December that are easy to peel.
P- Phobias or Fears: The dark, my car breaking down, and my children hating me.
Q- Quotes: "Everything is Temporary"
R- Reason To Smile: playing Taboo or Scattergories with my family - they are hilarious
S- Season: Fall (because it's getting colder) followed closely by Spring (because my bulbs come up)
T- Tag Three +: Who reads my blog besides the people that already have done this?
U- Unknown Fact About Me: I've always been a fan of Hillary which my husband teases me at all costs about.
V- Vegetarian or Meat Eater: Meat, I don't know if I could ever give it up
W- Worst Habit: Walking into a room and instantly cleaning it up or rearranging it without acknowledging the people that are in it and interrupting and finishing other people's sentences.
X- X-Rays or Ultrasounds: X-rays. Too much stress at ultrasounds. Agree Cuz.
Y- Your Favorite Food: soy sausages (that is at the moment)
Z- Zodiac: Aries
Sunday, October 14, 2007
Today I actually broke down and played it. It is really fun. Especially when you can play heart shaped box by Nirvana and actually feel like you are really playing the lead guitar in this game.
This is what you see from the back angle. Love that my 8 year old's current favorite song is Message in a Bottle by the Police. Thank you Guitar Hero.
PS - you're invited over anytime to play guitar hero with us.